I am the first to admit that I am lazy when it comes to consuming news. I can’t remember the last time I picked up a newspaper and often feel bombarded by RSS feed notifications, newsletter wrap-ups (delete!), and the overwhelming amount of content provided by a single google search. When co-founder Brad Cross’s wife Petra informed me of the revolutionary new way Prismatic delivers content she told me “say goodbye to your free time”. I was skeptical. Like I said, I gave up on reading much news a long time ago. Life as a pro-photographer is freaking busy. Despite my reservations, I decided I better give Prismatic a try. The result? Within one week of the iphone release it is one of the top 3 apps running on my phone. It has officially made the coveted main menu bar spot – it’s that good.
So how does it work and why is it great?
Sleek, innovative and universally easy-to-use, Prismatic is changing the way we consume and share news. This smart software filters through your networks to deliver personalized news while introducing you to a whole new realm of social news sharing. The Prismatic website packs all the news we want to read into an easy to navigate user interface.
- Customized news delivery: No longer are we bogged down with a multitude of social networks loaded with an excess of unrelated content. Prismatic connects to your Twitter, Facebook or Google reader account to find out what content actually interest you. Once logged in, Prismatic screens all links shared within your social networks, and then sorts through people you follow to create customized news feeds.
- Interest Bubble: Prismatic reins in all of your top interest and add them to your profile interest bubble cloud. The interest bubble is located on user profiles and act as a symbol of what content your actually into.
- Creditable Content: Semantic-filtering algorithms search through thousands of articles to filter out the junk and deliver only high quality content from creditable sources.
- Consistently Relevant Information: In addition to analyzing your social media behavior, simply liking and disliking content will allow the software to better tailor your news feed to reflect your interest.
- Social Sharing: Prismatic is making news consumption social in a way that has never been done before. Connect and share content with friends and followers directly through the sites navigation buttons. Here you can tweet, tag and email articles all without ever leaving the user dashboard.
- Interactive Tags: A series of tags are created to go along with each article. Tags allow for social news discovery, by introducing you to topics that you may have never normally searched for.
- Expand your Interests: One of my favorite features on Prismatic, is how the program offers different reading suggestions. The software creates a list of articles outside of your personal tags to introduce you to new content and news stories.
- The App: As an added bonus Prismatic just created a sick new iPhone app! The touchscreen interface provides easy navigation, allowing you to toggle between personalized news, full stories, interest categories and more.
You can check out and sign up for Prismatic here! And if you are curious….here is a peek at my bubbles :)